Sunday 11 October 2015

How I Survived Freshers (and how you can too!) - My Uni Survival Guide

If you're anything like me you'll be more concerned about getting to uni and making new friends than unpacking the 10+ bags of homeware and kitchen appliances that your parents were so adamant you would need (seriously, what student uses or has any intention of using a salad spinner?), but mums will be mums and who am I to turn down a free electric whisk...

Attempting to wedge and strategically pile up items I knew I would never use into my locker made me realise that I should have researched exactly what I would need to survive the 2 years of uni.

Listed below are some items I have used and have needed in the initial 3 weeks of being a fresher.

Bedroom*

  • Pillows x2 (or how ever many you prefer)
  • Duvet
  • Duvet covers x2
  • Mattress protector
  • Bottom sheets X2
  • Warm and snuggly blanket/throw
  • Alarm clock (do not solely rely upon your phone alarm, this would be a very rookie error)
  • Desk lamp (although this may also be supplied)
  • Door stop (a good way to make friends with other freshers in your block)
  • Home comforts (family and friend pictures for when you're feeling homesick)
*It's important to note that your university may supply bedding packs upon arrival that will contain pillows and duvets etc., so it's definitely worth checking.

Kitchen 

Many universities supply kitchen appliances, such as kettles and toasters, so before you take that oh-so-predictable trip to IKEA for the top of the range bagel and bread toaster (yes, I am guilty of this), be aware that they'll most likely already be supplied (maybe not so much the bagel toaster though...).

  • Plates, cereal bowls x2, pasta bowls x2, small plates x2, large plates x2 (this way you'll always have one left when washing up the other)
  • Mugs x2 (you'll learn that drinking tea is a pivotal bonding exercise with other freshers)
  • Glasses: wine glasses x2, shot glasses x2 (so you won't have to drink on your own)
  • Cutlery (knives, cutting knives, forks, spoons etc)
  • Scissors (you can't use your teeth to open everything)
  • Cooking utensils (ladle, wooden spoon etc)
  • Tea towels (my advice; take as many as humanly possible they will get "lost")
  • Pots & pans (for when you realise living on takeaways is not good for your body or your student loan)

These are just a couple of ideas and tips to get you through the first few weeks of uni life - if I can get through it, so can you!

No comments:

Post a Comment